In addition to her practice at Kelley Wolter & Scott, Stacy owns Bettison PR, a public relations firm focused on crisis communications. She also serves as special assistant public defender for Carver/Dakota County Veterans Treatment Court. Additional experience includes:
- Assistant Public Defender, Ramsey County (Minnesota Second Judicial District)
- Attorney, Greene Espel PLLP (Minneapolis)
- Associate Attorney, Jenner & Block LLP (Chicago)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State Bar of Minnesota
- State Bar of Illinois (Inactive/retired)
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif (high honors); Managing Editor, Minnesota Law Review
- Emerson College (Boston), B.A., Communications, Political Science & Law, summa cum laude, Lambda Pi Eta National Honor Society, Gold Key Honor Society
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers
- Recipient, Elmer H. Wiblishauser Author’s Award, Minnesota State Board Association: “The New Scarlet Letter: Is Minnesota’s Predatory Offender Registry helping or hurting?” Bench & Bar of Minnesota (Dec. 2019)
Regular lecturer for continuing legal education, law schools, industry and trade groups. Author and quoted-expert providing analysis in local, regional and national publications for trending news stories and best practices involving crisis and litigation communications.
- “Getting Serious About Prosecutorial Misconduct: What Can — and Should — be Done,” Bench & Bar of Minnesota (Mar. 2023)
- “Momentum builds for changes to Predatory Offender Registry,” Bench & Bar of Minnesota (Apr. 2021)
- “Child Sex Abuse and the Sixth Amendment: Minnesota courts are eroding confrontation clause protections in cases involving child witnesses,” Bench & Bar of Minnesota (Oct. 2020)
- “The New Scarlet Letter: Is Minnesota’s Predatory Offender Registry helping or hurting?” Bench & Bar of Minnesota (Dec. 2019)
- “When Crisis Strikes Law Firms: What to Do, What to Say,” Bench & Bar of Minnesota (Nov. 2011)
- “Representing Your Client in the Court of Public Opinion,” The Hennepin Lawyer (Jan. 2008)
- Co-editor with J. Greenhouse, EENR Pursuits, Newsletter of the Federal Bar Association Section on Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources (2004-2006)
- Co-author with James A. Vroman, Environmental Law for Transactional Attorneys, Chapter Six─Structuring the Deal, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2001)
- The Silencing of the Minnesota Environmental Policy Act: The Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Need for Meaningful Judicial Review, 26 Wm. Mitchell L. Rev. 967 (2000)
- Contributor, Huffington Post
- Contributor, Star Tribune
Selected Presentations & CLEs
- Faculty: Dispute Resolution for In-House Counsel: “Managing High Profile Disputes and Litigation — Tips & Strategies,” Minnesota CLE, December 6, 2017.
- Featured Speaker: “The 5 Most Critical Steps to Protect Reputations During Litigation,” Shepherd Data Services, April 19, 2017.
- Faculty: In-House Counsel: What Matters Most 2017, “Crisis Communications — What In-House Counsel Need to Know,” Minnesota CLE, February 16, 2017.
- Speaker: Minnesota Trucking Association – Safety Conference, “Crisis Communications — Planning, Response and Rehabilitation,” January 26, 2017.
- Faculty: “Crisis Communications & Social Media,” Minnesota CLE, December 1, 2016.
- Faculty: Health Law Institute “The Grand Collaboration: Cybersecurity Preparedness and Response,” Minnesota CLE, MSBA Food, Drug and Device Law Section and MSBA Health Law Section, June 9, 2016.
- Faculty: “Tools, Tips and Trends: Data Privacy and Cybersecurity,” Presented by Robins Kaplan and National Ass’n of Women Lawyers, September 30, 2015.
- Guest Faculty: Hamline University, School of Law, Health Care Compliance Skills, “Crisis Communications & Management — Critical Strategies,” April 20, 2015.
- Faculty: “Data Breach Crisis Management: Investigate, Assess & Notify,” 2014 Computer & Technology Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, November 18, 2014.
- Facilitator & Lecturer: Managing your Brand and Reputation, American Bar Association, Collaborative Bar Leadership Academy, June 27, 2014.
- Faculty: CLE “Tips, Tricks and Dangers of Social Media,” for Minnesota Women Lawyers, April 8, 2014.
- Guest Faculty: Hamline University, School of Law, Health Care Compliance Skills, Critical Strategies — Health Care Crisis Communications & Management, April 7, 2014.
- Faculty: “Media Relations: Pitfalls and Opportunities,” University of Minnesota, Extension, March 8, 2014.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Corporate Law Institute, Speaker Series, November 12, 2013.
- Faculty: Every Employer is Vulnerable — A Guide to Preventing Workplace Violence, May 20, 2013, Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education.
- Faculty: PR Disasters: Lessons for the Business Lawyer, May 8, 2013, Business Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (1.0 CLE credit) (presented with John Welbes, Pioneer Press).
- Guest Faculty: Hamline University, School of Law, Health Care Compliance Skills, Critical Strategies — Health Care Crisis Communications & Management, March 11, 2013.
- Faculty: Crisis Management Strategies for Schools, March 8, 2013, Metro Education Cooperative Services Unit (together with Institute for Environmental Assessment).
- Faculty: PR Disasters: Lessons for the Business Lawyer, February 28, 2013, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (1.0 CLE credit).
- Faculty: Crisis Communications & Issues Management for Schools, Minnesota Education Facility Management Professionals, State Meeting, January 8, 2013.
- Faculty: Every Employer is Vulnerable: Assessing and Preventing Workplace Violence, Occupational Health and Safety, December 6, 2012.
- Faculty: 10 Smart Strategies for Reputation Management after an Occupational Crisis, Occupational Health and Safety Conference, Sept. 6, 2012.
- Faculty: Crisis Communications & Issues Management for Schools and Parishes, Minnesota Catholic Education Ass’n, Aug. 20, 2012.Faculty: Disaster
- Planning and Crisis Management: You are in the Hot Seat, October 2010 (Hennepin County Bar Ass’n).
- Faculty: Minnesota Environmental Institute, Strategic Communications in the Environmental & Regulatory World, April 2010 (Minn. CLE).
- Faculty: Taking Charge of a Business Crisis, October 2007; October 2009 (Minn. CLE).
- Faculty: Minnesota Institute for Legal Education, Construction Law CLE: Whistleblowers in the Construction Industry: What to do (and not to do) when the whistle blows, March 2003.
- Great North Innocence Project, Advancement Committee
- Vice President, Minnesota Horse Welfare Coalition
- Animal Humane Society, Animal Foster
- Predatory Offender Registry Statutory Reform Working Group, Co-Chair (2021-2022)
- Criminal Sexual Conduct Statutory Reform Working Group, Member (2019-2020)
- Minnesota Women Lawyers, past Board Member
- University of Minnesota Law School Alumni Association, Past Chair, Board Member