Daniel M. Scott
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Mail, Wire & Bank Fraud
- Health Care Fraud
- Securities Violations
- Income Tax Offenses
Dan Scott’s 38 years of trial practice in Federal Court gives him an insider’s knowledge of the Federal Justice system. His expertise in the policies and personalities of prosecutors and courts has allowed his clients to achieve resolutions far more favorable than published guidelines. Over the past five decades, it’s likely no one has tried more Federal jury trials in Minnesota.
Dan maintains an active practice, specializing in the white collar area – mail, wire, bank, health care fraud, securities violations and income tax offenses. He has represented the anonymous to the children of Ray Charles and Malcolm X; from the destitute to lawyers, public officials and bank presidents. Dan has represented businesses including some of America’s largest corporations in the health care, medical device, and environmental fields.
Dan holds a top secret clearance, and has represented persons in a number of terrorism investigations.
Preferring to work behind the scenes, he has been described by the press as “the best defense lawyer nobody has heard of.”
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1973
- University of Minnesota
- Minnesota, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1974
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1973
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- Named Super Lawyer by Minnesota Law & Politics since 2001; only public defender to receive this honor in specialized field of white collar criminal defense
- Past Chair – Defender Services Advisory Group of the U.S. Courts
- Charter member – Minnesota Association for Criminal Defense Lawyers, Board of Directors
- Fellow – American College of Trial Lawyers, membership limited to the top 1 percent of litigators
- Speaker at over 100 seminars throughout the U.S. on topics relating to federal constitutional and criminal law
- MSBA Certified Criminal Law Specialist
- MN Super Lawyers
- AV Preeminent Peer review rated, Martindale-Hubbell Law Digest
Current Employment Position
- Of Counsel
- Kelley, Wolter & Scott, P.A.
- U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota
- Set up and directed the Federal Public Defender’s Office for the District of Minnesota
- Personally tried over 100 jury trials in U.S. District Court; argued more than 200 cases to the U.S. Court of Appeals